Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Living Along Coyote Creek


Every other week or so, I go out to Coyote Creek and monitor trash and take photos...lots of photos. Through these photos, I'd like to share some of the people, animals, plants, and other aspects of the creek that I find fascinating.

This week: "Lives Left Behind"

Recently, I went out with Richard McMurtry to evaluate the trash levels between Yerba Buena and Singleton Road. What a minefield of trash! We'll be hosting a cleanup along this section soon. The San Jose Park Rangers had recently cleared out the homeless people, and below are a few items I found left behind.


People need medications, and here are some prescription vials left behind. Hopefully, the user has their next supply of medication to stay healthy.
I'm always amazed by what "food-related" packaging I find. These are coffee creamer flavoring cups. I found one huge box (apparently holding about 150 cups) and its empty containers. Flavors, in case you are interested, are Hazelnut (tan), French Vanilla (blue), Irish Creme (green), Half & Half (white), Black Coffee Shot SToK (black). The SToK flavor contains the following ingredients: Water, Corn Syrup, Brewed Coffee (Cold Brewed Coffee [Filtered Water, Coffee],Caffeine, Natural Lactic Acid), Dipotassium Phosphate, Guar Gum. Not exactly high on the health index.


Children are out on the creek, and I mean living here, not just playing. Here is a Sesame Street stuffed animal, which I found adjacent to the baby-sized socks and toy truck (see below). I am saddened to see the evidence of children living out here. The weather is warm and dry now, but shortly, the rains will come, it will be cold at night, and these little ones may not have a safe place to be. 
Who was the little baby who lost his/her socks?
I hope he/she is safe.
Small toy fire engine

No comments:

Post a Comment